Sunday, May 20, 2007

Manliness

I saw this text on the back of a hooded sweatshirt a while back, as I waited for the bus with my friend Andy. Well, everyone knows the phrase, 'Manliness is next to Godliness'. All I'm saying is that I'm standing next to Manliness so I must be Godliness.
Oh, right. It's cleanliness. Not manliness. So that must mean that this guy is just lame.
I'm all for fun typography on clothing. I think people should be far more daring to explore the vast area of tabula rasa that covers our bodies. Armpit text anyone? Why haven't we printed long phrases that curl around our sleeves yet? But some printed words, like the ubiquitous 'COLLEGE' on fratboy teeshirts, are just a little too Abercrombie, a little too cutsie. Next thing you know they'll be putting 'Princess' on the butts of girls' pj pants. Oh, wait, that happened five years ago. Next thing you know they'll be putting self-empowered bitchy sayings like 'I'm crabby' on girls' pj pants. Oh, wait, they make those too. I've got it: next thing you know they'll be putting 'Cheap Whore' on the butts of girls' pants. And hopefully the pants won't sell well at Macy's and the 'Cheap Whore' pants will have to go on sale. Oh, the irony!

No comments: