Thursday, March 15, 2012

Two songs about love

Two thoughts about love that I've had stuck in my mind lately.

In listening to Michael Torke's work 'Four Proverbs'; this is the first movement's text: 
'Better a dish of herbs where love is, than a fattened ox and hatred with it.'
I hadn't heard this proverb before, but I really like it. As weird as it is I'm sure this one's going to get added to my everyday repertoire.

In listening to Robyn's 'Body Talk', the track: 'Hang With Me' has the chorus:
'And if you do me right, I'm gonna do right by you
And if you keep it tight, I'm gonna confide in you
I know what's on your mind, there will be time for that too,
If you hang with me.'

I love that the 'con' of the word 'confide' comes on the downbeat of the third beat; not the strongest beat of the measure but it throws off the text just enough that it makes the near-rhyme with 'right' in the previous phrase kind of interesting; in singing the word 'confide' alone, it seems more natural to put emphasis on the second syllable (perhaps because I'm an American-English speaker?) but Robyn's way keeps it confined within the rhythms of the lyrics in that way that only the Swedes can pull off.

Very different genres and thoughts about love, but both kind of romantic, and both pieces quite soothing to the ears. And good for interpretive dance time as well.

No comments: